WHAT IS THE INNERCITY MISSION?
The InnerCity Mission for Children is a full-fledged faith-based Non-Governmental Organisation[NGO] in Consultative Status with the United Nations [UN]; it is under the auspices of the Chris Oyakhilome Foundation and it reaches out to indigent children living in forgotten places – the inner cities.
We are dedicated to breaking the Cycle of Poverty by delivering a sustainable solution to the problem of urban and rural child poverty. We work to give the life of every indigent child a meaning; we want them to forget that they were ever poor and give them a hope and a future.
WHAT IS THE VISION OF THE INNERCITY MISSION?
We envision a world in which orphaned, deprived, excluded and vulnerable children in the inner cities live free of poverty and fulfill their God-given potential, thus becoming responsible and self-reliant adults, profitable to the society.
Approximately half of the world’s population now live in cities and towns. In 2005, approximately 1 billion people [one out of three urban dwellers] were living in slum conditions. These locations, which we refer to in this document as the inner cities, are the focus of our work. We have a mission to the children who live in these inner cities.
Innercity’s mission is to:
– Identify orphaned and vulnerable children [OVC] in families or households, inner city community schools and orphanages or related institutions who have become deprived, vulnerable and excluded as a result of poverty.
– Deliver sustainable and participatory interventions to these OVC, their families or households, schools and orphanages or related institutions.
– Mobilize these families or households, inner city community schools and orphanages or related institutions into a force for change.
– Promote awareness of the plight or situation of these OVC and the dire social consequences of the society’s neglect in addressing their problems.
We understand and accept that:
– The key to sustainable and lasting change to the issues that affect children living in poverty in inner cities is wrapped up in the Word of God.
– Change on the outside is preceded by change on the inside; therefore, a change of mental attitude leads to a change in physical circumstances.
– We must take actions that bring the deprived, excluded and vulnerable children in the inner cities into a position that makes them drivers of their own change.
– These children must be active participants in their own change in order to achieve independence within a set time.
Please consider joining us to partner with the Inner city Mission, to provide for children in need, all around the world.